Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Cover Episode (36)

It's the episode you've all been waiting for - COVERS!


(Stephen Harper performing with Yo-Yo Ma at the NAC Gala: Video)

With a Little Help From My Friends by Joe Cocker (Beatles Cover)

Time Is On My Side by Irma Thomas (Covered by The Rolling Stones)
Hard To Handle by Otis Redding (Covered by The Black Crowes)

Love Hurts by The Everly Brothers (Covered by Roy Orbison and Nazareth)
Black Magic Woman by Fleetwood Mac (Covered by Santana)

Proud Mary by Tina and Ike Turner (CCR Cover)
Nothing Compares To U by Sinead O'Connor (Prince Cover)
It's My Life by No Doubt (Talk Talk Cover)

I Heard It Through The Grapevine by Gladys Knight and the Pips (Smokey Robinson and The Miracles cover, covered by Marvin Gaye and CCR)
I Fought The Law by The Clash (The Crickets cover, covered by Roy Orbison, , and The Dead Kennedys)
Halleujah by Jeff Buckly (Leonard Cohen Cover)

All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan Cover)
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zeppelin (Joan Baez Cover)
Killing Me Softly [With His Song] by The Fugees (Roberta Flack Cover, originally written by Lori Lieberman; see Flack & Fugees together here.)

They Can't Take That Away From Me by Ella Fitzgerald (Fred Astaire in Shall We Dance)

Cruel To Be Kind by Letters to Cleo (Nick Low Cover)

(Photo courtesy of cbc.ca)

2 comments:

MissWitczak said...

Ohhhhhh, so excited that its finally here!!!! Yay Cover episode!!!!
TW, I love the word "buffoon". Please use it more often.
...I just wrote a paragraph about the Stephen Harper piano debacle, but after my Madame Tussaud's-based image went South, I deleted it. I agree with what you were saying, though. Its unsettling to feel myself sort of liking the guy in that brief moment, despite the fact that I know its such a contrived, media-milked situation.
Also: am so, so, so happy that you played "Time Is On My Side" by Irma Thomas. Absolutely one of my favorite songs ever.
I am absolutely beyond shocked that "Love Hurts" did not originate with Nazareth.
Standout unexpected song from today's episode? Nothing Compares 2 U (No idea Prince was behind this. In all honesty, I am disappointed.)
My favorite "Heard it Through the Grapevine" is probably the Miracles, although I LIKE all the versions. As per "Hallelujah", I really love the Jeff Buckley (gorgeous vocals!), but I'm an absolute sucker for the ARRANGEMENT played by John Cale. Listen to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckbdLVX736U
I like Rufus' version, too.
...I am writing as I listen. You were talking about Jeff Buckley and I was sitting here thinking, no, sorry dude, he is a DEAD DUCK and was never on American Idol. I did, however, see what you were talking about on wiki.
Lauren Hill is a powerhouse. TW is right. No one can help but try to sing along.
I DO truly love standards, and you chose a nice one here.(Frankly, any song with the lyrics "Swing it, Ella" is great by me.) I just wikied the song, and it so happens that Robbie Williams did a version of it. I hate him. I want someone to put him out of my misery. Ruining perfectly wonderful songs left, right and centre. Truly awful.
Truly excellent episode, friends. A happy way to end my day.
:)

Brutus said...

It is a WONDER that it took so many YEARS to be treated to such a sensational show dedicated to covers. Thank you. And shout out to "Winnie", who must have some kind of clout with the PMO. Glad he could fit it in around the scheduling of ASR!

Appreciated each and every song.

A few anecdotes:
If you enjoy the harmonies of the Everly Brothers, try to get your hands on the 1985 song, "Born Yesterday". It is really tough to find, as it has been striken from YouTube by Warner Brothers several times. The original video that accompanied the song is especially moving.

One other song that is forever linked to Nam is Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On". Never get tired of listening to it.

Finally, as a 'wanabee' trumpeter, I feel obliged to mention that Satchmo (Louis Armstrong) played the horn and sang the duet with Ella Fitzgerald. Every song they ever sang together seemed to automatically bring smiles to faces.

Bravo on digging up such a great selection of pieces overall. Almost half of the covers were new to me.

Have a great week,

Brutie

p.s. Kristen would make a great guest on the show. She really knows her stuff!